Citrus Mornin' Breakfast Protein Oats & 5 Workouts To Get you Movin'
It's my first official post as a mama and holy heck these past 5 days have been one wild ride - all of which I want to share with you -but for now, this little morning recipe post has been way over due and I wanted to get some inspiration into your kitchen at a time where most of us are cooped up inside. And I also want to share with you 5 wicked workouts that you can do from home, some oldies but goodies that will get you sweaty and feelin' pretty dang proud of yourself once they are done!
This recipe as you will see is basically my classic version but using different ingredients and twisting up a good thing - cause why get too fancy when this staple hits the spot every time.
In the mornings you can get more creative with the kiddos (or by yourself like I do) and add in different things to spice it up. Whether it's pumpkin seeds, some carob chips (or dark chocolate chips), banana, freshly squeezed lemon juice, hemp hearts, strawberries... you get the the idea - your options are endless. Just one thing to note, this recipe is wicked for dishing you up a source of carbs and protein, so adding fats for my topping is my number one go to - which for me is usually in the form of peanut butter ;).
Citrus Mornin' Breakfast Protein Oats
2 apples - I used Granny Smith but any flavour will do the trick
2 naval oranges - the bigger and juicier the better (ps save the peels)
2 cups quick oats (you can use steel cut I've just got an endless amount of quick oats I've been trying to use up)
2 cups egg whites (1 small carton)
2 tbsp cinnamon
- In a large pot bring about 2 inches of water to a boil, which for my pot was 4 cups. At this point I just eye ball it but quickly ran into my kitchen to measure for you all ;).
- Once the water is boiling add in your oats, stir and reduce heat to minimum and allow to simmer for approximately 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the oats are cooking peel your orange and chop into bite sized pieces (save a few pieces of the peel for some zesting at the end).
- Next up, grate those apples using a cheese grater or whatever grater you have on hand.
- Place both the apple and orange into the oatmeal mixture and stir well.
- As a final touch add in your cinnamon and approximately 1 teaspoon of orange zest (created by scraping the orange peel against the graters fine edge)
- Allow to simmer for a few minutes and then dish up into meal prep containers.
- Personally I prepare my serving sizes using 1 heaping cup into each dish and get approximately 8 servings out of this recipe (this is the same serving size that my boyfriend also has).
- Feel free to find your groove with your own calories and what works for you and your hunger cues!
Next up, let's get sweaty!
Here's a low impact workout that you can do from home that will leave you burnin' in all the right places:
Ready to get outdoors in the sunshine? Hit up this track workout that I absolutely loved doing last summer:
Want an at home killer workout using weights, bands and all the sass? Here she is:
Here's an advanced 1000 rep workout that left so many women around the world gasping for air and making it their mission to complete it! Don't feel defeated if you don't get to all 1000 reps on your first go, aim for half or a quarter to start and see how the rest flows. Here it is:
And lastly, and advanced core workout that jacks up the heart rate as quickly as your abs will start burning! Ready?
I hope these inspire you to get moving, sweating and refocusing on YOU. I know there's a lot of crazy going on in the world right now but the one thing you do have control over is how you show up for you!
If you are a part of the Progress Project remember that you have total access to all the home workouts - so if you gym is closed, hit up that section in your dashboard. And if you are one of those gals who haven't jumped in with us to make some progress, maybe this is your week where you give that free 7 day trial a chance ;).
So spend that 5 minutes on a facial and get a wicked rosy glow on. I actually did this yesterday morning as part of my day's self care in showing up for me. Click HERE for the plant based cell renewal facial I gave myself.
Or, meal prep up these oats or some wicked protein balls, like this recipe here.
Heck, now is the time to pull out that journal and decompress. Let out how this year has been going for you. Are you on track with your goals? Do you need a boost? Do you need to feel realigned? I know a lot of my clients are using this time to redo their mindset reset and refocus on where they want to be and how they want to be showing up for themselves. You can do this course at any point, as in right now if you wanted. Check it out here - pst - it's less than $7!
Alright I'm out of here.... I hope this helps you out in some way and inspires you to either move your body, dance it up in the kitchen or hit the journal.
jess...and Cruz. xo
ps. if you missed my birth story of how we brought Cruz into the world - check it out here.